* lcp-echo-interval 0 is your friend when trying to stay connected to the internet using cell phones or GPRS modems of any sort in linux. LCP Echo is evil and will always screw up a perfectly good IP session, no idea why 🙂
* When you're in St. Ignace, and want to view a first run movie, don't ask the locals where the nearest first run theater is, they'll just laugh at you. Snakes on a Plane? Well, we have snakes, and we have planes…..
* Ditto with Meijer.
* It costs $9 to change your name at the Secretary of State.
* The Kewadin gold tokens only work in special slot machines, ones that won't take the casino player card, though you can continuously insert the thing forever trying, since they don't bother to label that on the machine anywhere.
* Tribes have their own police department. Fortunately, it wasn't me or mine that found this out the hard way. I just giggled as I drove past.
* Finding food after 10pm here is non-trivial.
* It is still possible to walk into a bar in the state of Michigan, and have EVERY SINGLE PERSON STOP WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND TURN TOWARD YOU. Go to Garden, MI and try this.
* Garden, MI and Garden City, MI are polar opposites (though I knew this beforehand, though not how truly different they were 🙂 )
* Only the nickel slots are honest at Kewadin. The rest won't let you cash out just your winnings, or play a nickel at a time or whatever. (and it IS possible to make a profit playing slots if you know what you're doing)
* It is possible to get SBC to install a POTS line at a campground in a ghost town. I can't imagine how much flack you must get filing the service order, but someone managed to do it. Color me impressed.
10 thoughts on “More things I have learned this trip….”
it IS possible to make a profit playing slots if you know what you're doing
Dear god….don't get arrested on your honeymoon, Paul….. 😉
hehe, it's not like that, but close.
also, for more on "how I don't roll", see above regarding "Tribal Police"
SOunds like a fun place to be 🙂
"Finding food after 10pm here is non-trivial."
when I was growing up in Da U.P. finding anything after 10pm was non-trivial.
But still not as 1337 or funny as having SBC terminate a T1 in the middle of a cornfield. *grin*
haha, only MCI can pull off that level of leetness. 🙂
Clearly you need more "northern exposure," Paul. You've got a minivan, stock up on victuals and carry them with you. 🙂 I haven't been to the UP in far too long, however, in the Northern Lower, the bars are always open until 2am, and many serve food.
It's true that northern Michigan lacks Meijer, however they more than make up for it with two locations of Jay's Sporting Goods. The Clare location also has General Jim's Army Surplus next door, allowing you to stock up on all your outdoor needs. Definitely stop in on your way home.
I don't think of Clare as "Northern Michigan", but there are at least two Meijer locations north of Clare. One in Traverse City, soon to be one in Acme, and there's one in Cadillac.
None that I can find in the Upper Peninsula, though. 🙂
the largest meijers is their TC location.